Dane County, Cities of Madison, Middleton, Village of Shorewood Hills Agree to Reconstruct Universit
January 30, 2009
Joshua Wescott, Office of the County Executive (608) 267-8823 or cell (608) 669-5606
Engineering Work to Start this Year, Reconstruction Eyed for 2011
Dane County, the Cities of Madison and Middleton, and Village of Shorewood Hills have an agreement in place to move forward with the slated reconstruction of University Avenue (County Highway MS).
Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk said today engineering work for the project will begin this year. $350,000 is included in the 2009 county budget for that work.
“Re-doing this busy thoroughfare right is important to the thousands of motorists in this county that use University Avenue every day,” Falk said. “This is one of many important road projects the County will be a part of in 2009 as we focus on making sure people can get to work and school as safely and efficiently as possible.”
The City of Madison will begin rebuilding and resurfacing work in March on University Avenue, from State Street to University Bay Drive. Madison will spend $6 million on this project this year.
"The work on University Avenue is part of my 5-year effort to dramatically improve street conditions in Madison," Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said. "As pot hole season approaches, it's a good time to remember that the best way to prevent potholes is to rebuild streets."
The City of Madison will invest another $13 million in pavement management, street reconstruction and resurfacing other streets.
Falk noted the county will spend $3.6 million in highway capital improvement projects this year, the most in recent memory, and another $12.9 million for highway maintenance throughout the county.
“I thank County Executive Falk, working with the Mayors of Madison and Middleton, neighborhood and local leaders for cementing this funding agreement that will allow us to move forward to upgrade University Avenue from Segoe Road to Allen Boulevard,” said Dane County Supervisor Brett Hulsey, who represents the area.
The engineering phase of the University Avenue (County Highway MS) project will include extensive planning along with opportunity for input from the public.
University Avenue from Segoe Road to Allen Boulevard is slated for reconstruction in 2011. In addition to rebuilding the existing four lanes of road, the $7.2 million project will include new turn lanes and sidewalks along with curb and gutter work.
80% of the project will be covered through federal funds. Dane County and the local municipalities will pay the remaining 20%.
# # #